This document proposes to change the organizational structure & contribution model of SquiggleDAO in order to optimize for post-fundraising execution.
It includes a proposal to replace the Genesis team with an execution-focused Council of Squiggle Strategy as well as guidelines for creating full and part-time roles within the DAO in order to build and scale a dedicated team.
Inflection points require refocus. With treasury resources, we can now afford to compensate humans dedicated to committing time to SquiggleDAO. This is one half the ‘barbell’ community development that we’ll need to focus on and deliver high-quality art and culture.
- Dissolve the genesis team and form the Board of Squiggle Strategy
- Provide a framework for hiring and compensating core contributors.
Dissolve the Genesis Team Working Group
The Genesis Team was formed to support the development of SquiggleDAO into a thriving, decentralized community. Together, we have achieved some incredible goals:
- 40% of $SQUIG tokens distributed, with 60% owned organically by the community
- A treasury of 269 Squiggles
- $8M USDC raised to pursue the SquiggleDAO mission
It is now time to move to the next phase of our evolution and therefore we propose dissolving the Genesis Team.
Form the Board of Squiggle Strategy
Building on the Genesis Working Group, the Board of Squiggle Strategy will act as stewards alongside DAO members to support the growth and ensure DAO initiatives are enacted in accordance with DAO member votes.
Collaborate with the core team and squad leads to define broad policies and objectives, on overall strategy, and to communicate these effectively to the Leads
Ensure effective organizational planning
Identify and nominate individuals for Lead positions including recommended compensation
Participate in the review and evaluation of performance for these positions regularly to inform recommendations for retention or dismissal
Provide recommendations on best practices for maintaining an efficient decentralized governance system
Act as a bridge between DAOs and actively pursue and support partnerships.
Attend monthly Squiggle Strategy meetings to ensure the core team has their finger on the pulse with current market trends.
- 4 Genesis Team members will remain
- 2 seats will be added for community-voted nomination
Members to the Board of Squiggle Strategy will be added or removed by consensus of the existing Board members and ratified via Snapshot.
Members will receive a grant of 2500 $SQUIG per Quarter (3months). Compensation can be changed via snapshot vote.
Formalize for core operational roles with token grants and salaries
The best way to support this next iteration of SquiggleDAO is to build a core team of operational experts that can work alongside community members to grow the community, deliver incredible projects and build culture. To do this, we propose the following roles and compensation guidelines:
Work in Squiggle DAO can be broken down into 3 roles.
- Squad Leads
- Key Contributor
Core - Core team members are responsible for ensuring DAO wide initiatives are executed to the highest standard. Proposed initial Core roles include
- Instigator: Responsible for DAO vision, business development, media presence and partnerships. (Gregg Peacock)
- Creative Director: Creative strategy & execution; Brand, content, curation & launch of art products, media partnerships,etc. Marketing and content leadership. (To be hired)
- Tech Director: Leading out technology strategy and supporting any development resources the DAO has. (To be hired)
Squad Leads - Strategic leadership for each squad in support of the squads goals. Team leads support the hiring, compensation, direction and growth of these
- Marketing Squad
- Treasury Management
- Acquisition Squad
Key Contributors - Part time or full time members working in support of squad initiatives. Key contributors are responsible for delivering projects or DAO outcomes. Hiring and compensation for these roles can include Coordinape Circles, project based work or salaries. Squad Leaders in collaboration with the instigator will be responsible for hiring and compensating members in accordance with the guidelines noted below and inline with Squad Budgets as ratified by the DAO membership.
The following compensation guidelines were created based on industry research (and are inline with compensation at Seed Club, FWB, Forefront and Index Coop)
Instigator (Gregg Peacock)
Monthly Comp: $15,000 USDC
SQUIG Comp: 5% over 3 years (no-cliff)
Creative Director (To be hired)
Monthly Comp: $10-20,000
SQUIG Comp: 0.5-2% over 3 years, 6 month cliff
Tech Director (TBD)
Monthly Comp: $10-20,000 USDC
SQUIG Comp: 0.5-2% over 3 years, 6 month cliff
Monthly Comp: $5-15,000 USDC
SQUIG Comp: 0.00-1% over 3 years
Monthly Comp: $1-5,000 USDC
SQUIG Comp: Coordinape based $squig distribution
$SQUIG compensation, unless otherwise noted, vests linearly, with a 6mo cliff, effective 7 days after SDIP snapshot vote is complete.
Onboarding, offboarding and the nomination of new roles will be managed through snapshot governance proposals
Vote Yes to:
- Dissolve the genesis team working group and form the Board of Squiggle Strategy.
- Institute the outlined framework for hiring and compensating core contributors
Vote No to:
- NOT dissolve the genesis team working group and form the Board of Squiggle Strategy.
- NOT Institute the outlined framework for hiring and compensating core contributors